Friday, October 26, 2012

The Alps

Went to Vienna Austria for a grant review.  It was gloomy in Vienna and so I will spare you of any pictures.  But while I was in the neighborhood I went to visit my Italian collaborators who had recently relocated to northern Italy and give a seminar.  They are now in Trento, which requires a train ride (no airport). It would take a flight to Innsbruck and then a train ride through the Alps.  I only knew of Innsbruck because of a previous Winter Olympics.  The mountains were spectacular.  This is a panorama from the tarmak of the Innsbruck airport.  WOW!


The train ride was a real treat.  It was my first look at the Alps from ground level.  


All of the wineries in the mountain setting were beautiful.


Trento was so Italian after to somber environment of Austria.


It was great to discuss our research with my collaborators.


Even got to enjoy a bit of the Trento nightlife with lab members.  Its a college town.


But in the end, the thing I will remember most is the train ride.  The train ride back was illuminated by full sun and blue skies.


The pass was through a large tunnel.  But it was possible to get a glimpse of the peaks.  The lighting here was not optimal (into the sun) but you can see the silhouette of some jagged high peaks.


It was fun to listen to music and look out the window.  The train


I was fascinated by trees that looked like pines but had fall colors.  Turns out to be Larch trees.  They were beautiful.


No comments: